04 August 2026

a girly 2000s playlist

Here's a mini playlist I compiled of songs that make me feel like I'm in a cute little 2000s rom com! Take the playlist for the songs themselves or read my thoughts on them and why I love them so much.


!. Everybody by Ingrid Michaelson (2009)


I'm only really familiar with two of Ingrid's songs but I mainly know this one from the movie adaptation of the book Ramona and Beezus. This song is just so upbeat and makes me think about fun summer memories and childhood innocence. The chorus is so catchy and I love the stomp and clap style breakdown that happens towards the end of the song as well as the layered vocals in the final chorus. This is a rather simple song with heavily repeating lyrics which makes me afraid to play it for other people, but someone with whimsy in their heart will appreciate it for the sweet simple song it is.

2. Bubble Toes by Jack Johnson (2001)

Anything by Jack Johnson is immediately giving summer nostalgia. His song Upside Down as well as his collaborations with Curious George are what he's most commonly known for, but his other albums that aren't directly catered to children are also equally wonderful. I feel like this song manages to keep his iconic sound and the nostalgia attached to it while also getting to cater to an older demographic, especially through more intricate lyricism. I love how the song starts slower and builds up through tempo and layered instrumentals. This blog post is really making me take the time to read through the lyrics of these songs and I've never actually noticed how nonsensical? some of the lyrics are. They're very playful and are unafraid of getting a little silly. The instrumentals are so warm and comforting, as is the case for many of Jack's other works. This combination of cozy instrumentals and playful lyrics produces a listening experience reminiscent of childhood hope. 

3. Something That I Want by Grace Potter (2010)

First off, I love Rapunzel! Tangled is in my opinion my favorite Disney princess movie. I remember watching Tangled as a kid and loving the whole animated end credit sequence featuring this song. This song just fills me with instant nostalgia. I love the use of storytelling and references to the movie as well as the use of the line "Something that I tell myself I need" in the chorus. While searching up the lyrics I read that this phrase is supposed to directly tie into one of the themes of the movie which is the misinterpretation of goals. This was something fun that I discovered that will definitely change how I listen to this song and view the movie. Instrumental wise I love the use of chimes? across the song; it produces such a fun detail that makes the song sound unique. I also love the bridge so much and the way it ends on a high note that transitions to a fun dance break. I picked up on the sound of what I think is a synthesizer of some sort during this music break and again think this song's production uses really interesting sounds that people wouldn't directly associate with a Disney movie. Overall this song just makes me wanna dance around it's just so upbeat, much like Rapunzel herself and the movie Tangled as a whole. 

4. Brighter Than The Sun by Colbie Caillat (2012)

This is the first of the two songs I have on this playlist by Colbie. I enjoy how the lyrics  focus on themes regarding fate and unexpected love as well as some of the metaphors she uses, including the title itself "brighter than the sun". She also plays around with some more witty and niche comparisons in the second verse that I got to dive further into understanding. She explains how two people can go together like "peanuts and paydays" and "Marley and reggae". The Marley comparison is rather obvious but the other one is a play on the metaphor of getting paid in peanuts, but she gives it a positive twist by making it a week metaphor for love. I also adore the instrumentals featured in this song and love the rustic stomp clap style beat that mixes with acoustic guitar to produce a warm undertone. Some of my favorite instrumental details are the use of higher pitched guitar plucking in the verses that highlight the underlying melody of the music, as well as the use of a xylophone in the choruses. The xylophone is so playful! I also wanna note how the song fades out on a repeat of the chorus with an emphasis on harmonies because it's such a pretty choice for an outro.

5. Pheobe by Audrey Hobert (2025)

This is the only more modern song on this playlist, but something about Audrey's vibe and the imagery of the song feel so 2000s coded. I had only heard bits of this song before but once I sat to listen to the whole song I realized it was named after Pheobe from friends which just blends in perfectly with the story telling and overall theme of the song. Aubrey's lyricism is one of her biggest strengths with her music as well as her relatability. I enjoy how this song essentially focuses on her relating to a fictional character which is something I and many people often experience. She is also very emotionally vulnerable in this song and openly discusses her insecurities and how they affect her relationships which further contributes to an honest and engaging narrative. I love the spin on the final chorus where she sings about her insecurities but echos over it with words of encouragement such as "beautiful" and "gorgeous".  Pheobe Buffay is one of the most iconic whimsical weird girl fictional characters of the 2000s and is such a good choice of a muse for this song due to her unabashed nature and authenticity. I stan Audrey Hobert and can't wait to see what she releases next!


6. Kiss Me by Sixpence None The Richer (1997)

    How can I create a 2000s inspired rom com playlist without including Kiss Me. This is the most iconic rom com song of the early 2000s and is mainly associated with the movie How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. The opening guitar strumming feels like a warm embrace and whenever I hear it I instantly smile. The imagery is just so cozy and sweet with mentions of fire flies and moonlight. Even the title screams hopeless romantic. This is another rather simple song but you can't deny that this is a classic. The whole instrumental segment after the second chorus is so magical and feels kinda Parisian to me. I think its the choice of instruments. I don't know if they were trying to invoke the city of love but I always think of Paris when I hear this part of the song. The guitar solo also is such a fun part of the song and really draws your ear into the instrumental going into the final chorus and outro. The repetition of "kiss me" in the outro is so sweet and I love how the phrase is loving but in a cheeky and playful way. This song is the perfect embodiment of love.

7. She's so High by Tal Bachman (1999)

This song screams summer road trip! I love how the whole song centers on Tal praising the woman he's singing about and painting her out to be godlike and feminine with his references to Joan of Arc, Cleopatra, and Aphrodite. The lyrics take on this yearning almost highschool romance feel with the way he's romanticizing the girl he's singing about. The build up to the chorus with drums and the chorus itself are so fun. This song uses bold drums and groovy guitar to produce a feel good summer song. I think this song excels in terms of vibes. Lyrically and instrumentally it's a straightforward song, but there's something about the way this song makes me feel. I also love the guitar instrumental break and how it slows down as it transitions to the bridge where the guy essentially gets the girl after convincing himself he isn't good enough for her because he thinks of her highly. This narrative in the bridge really makes you hone into the final chorus and view it in a more victorious light rather than a more insecure one. Overall, groovy instrumental, feel good lyric, guitar solo, pure summertime vibes. 


8. Fallin' For You by Colbie Caillat (2013)

This is the second and final Colbie Caillat song on this playlist. This was the first song I rediscovered from her and I wanna say I remember hearing this as a kid so it carries a little extra nostalgia. I really love this song's use of a pre chorus and how it smoothly transitions into the chorus. The pre chorus centers on the relatable feeling of harboring feelings and then the chorus is where we hear her revealing her feelings. I also love the phrase "fallin' for you" it's such a cute sort of old fashioned way to say that you're developing feelings for someone. This song has such a strong narrative and by the time you get to the second verse there's romantic developments between Colbie and the guy she's singing about. Even going down to the bridge and outro we finally see all this buildup of emotions spill out. The narrative of the song is so sweet and wholesome and it's fun seeing it develop as the song progresses. I also love the really distinct way the pacing of the lyrics are set up in both the pre chorus as well as the chorus. This song is just so airy, sweet, and you can really feel Colbie is coming to this realization that she's falling in love.

9. Soak Up the Sun by Sheryl Crow (2002)

Soak up the Sun is widely considered a staple summertime song and personally makes me feel like I'm a teenager in the 2000s driving around in a convertible during the summer. The music in this song is just so funky and I'm not sure why but this song always makes me think about like the barbie movies from the 2000s that I grew up watching? As I'm reading the lyrics I'm starting to see the real social and economical commentary of this song and I really feel like people don't give this song credit for it's underlying message. People just hear the chorus and think the song is simple about summertime. In the verses and pre chorus she discusses not having enough money, pokes fun at the frivolous nature of consumerism, and commentates on the mindsets of the wealthy, all while countering it with her relentless optimism. The bridge of this song is so short its easy to miss but she actually manages to further critique consumerism by saying how eventually we will have to pay to enjoy sunlight because we have to pay to enjoy everything, even basic necessities. The peppy upbeat nature of the music and Sheryl's voice bury the profound nature of her lyricism, but this song is truly thought provoking. I most certainly will never listen to this song the same again and I have a deeper understanding of the story Sheryl is telling. 

10. Weight of the World by Chantal Kreviazuk (2002)

I recently discovered this song when I was rewatching How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days because this plays at the very end of the movie and throughout the end credits. This song is such a good choice for the ending of a rom com. The instrumental of this song is just so hopeful and free. I love the use of what sounds like maracas in the background. There's something about the grandness of the music in the chorus that I can't put my finger on. It just feels like a coming of age 2000's movie. The underlying melody and guitar in the chorus is just so uplifting. It perfectly encapsulates the strength and new found joy that comes from making a choice to control your own life and not let your life control you. The lyrics even mirror the growth you would see from a character at the end of a movie which is another reason I love that I was introduced to this song as an end credits song. I also love how the song ends with the repetition of the lines "I used to carry the weight of the world but now all I wanna do is spread my wings and fly". It just further emphasizes freedom and utilizes the symbolism of a winged creature to do so. Chantal sings about leaving the baggage behind that comes with fear and worry in order to be set free. As someone who stresses a lot, this song just feels like letting a deep breath that you didn't even know you were holding, finally out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

most recent

my favorite Taylor Swift album

After years of soul searching I am proud to say that Fearless is my favorite Taylor Swift album!

most popular